|Chef Girish Krishnan teaching the kids, Ritu Beri’s daughter Gia (extreme right)
The dark clouds were busy pouring rain outside but inside Delhi Baking Company, JW Marriott New Delhi Aerocity, it was pouring chocolate, sundaes and sandwiches. Brand ambassador of JW Marriott, Aerocity, designer Ritu Beri and her friends were enjoying a cake-baking session for their children. Ritu Beri’s six-year-old daughter Gia (who studies in Vasant Valley) was enjoying learning to bake a chocolate cake. This workshop led by Executive Chef Girish Krishnan and Executive Pastry Chef Narendra Lendave helped the children bake the all time favourite Chocolate Decadence and make the Knickerbocker glory Sundae.
|Chef Girish Krishnan,GM Anthony Page, Ritu Beri
Beri who likes kids thought that at DBC fun and learning combined in an excellent manner. While the children baked and played, the Chefs told us that they had ensured teaching the kids an easy cake as they aged between 6-10 years.
The Chef recommends the breads and the gelatos. And among the differently flavoured are Salted Caramel, Masala Chai and Gulkand.
My vote goes for Masala Chai and the Gulkand gelato.
|Chef Narendra Lendave giving a lesson on the Sundae
You can also try the Chocolate Decadence cake at home:
454 grams of semisweet chocolate, roughly chopped
146 grams total of unsalted butter
5 large eggs separated
1. Put chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl and set over a pan of simmering water and melt, stirring often.
2. While your chocolate butter mixture is cooling. Butter your pan and line with a parchment circle, then butter the parchment.
3. Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites and put into two medium/large bowls.
4. Whip the egg whites in a medium grease free bowl until stiff peaks are formed. With the same beater beat the egg yolks.
6. Add the egg yolks to the cooled chocolate.
7. Fold in 1/3 of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture and follow with remaining 2/3rds. Fold until no white remains without deflating the batter.
8. Pour batter into prepared pan, the batter should fill the pan 3/4 of the way full, and bake at 375F/190C
9. Bake for 25 minutes until an instant read thermometer reads 140F/60C.
Note-If you do not have an instant read thermometer, the top of the cake will look similar to a brownie and a cake tester will appear wet.
10. Cool cake on a rack for 10 minutes, then unmould.
About Delhi Baking Company, JW Marriott New Delhi Aerocity
The Delhi Baking Company or DBC, which is the hotel patisserie, specializes in a wide range of grab-and-go gourmet products including baked goodies, great coffee and culinary lifestyle products as well as a simple eat-in menu. Here you find tasty treats and scrumptious snacks – homemade bread; a variety of sandwiches, freshly-squeezed juices; desserts and a range of exotic gourmet foods. Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner and everything in between.