Stay, eat, rest and party at a place run by women, cared for by women and only for women, in the centre of Gurgaon.
Words and photos: Ambica Gulati
Finding OYO WE on Google maps is a piece of cake. And when you reach there, it’s the warm touch that makes you feel at home. Category Head, Deepika Gupta defines it as “comfort of home with the luxury of a hotel”. The promise of the hotel is a good stay in a pocket-friendly price and ghar ka khana.
Run by women, it is OYO’s first property only for women. Soon, there will be additions in Delhi and Noida, which promise to be more luxurious. And 15 properties dedicated to women are expected from the OYO group soon.
The city is a confluence of the changing society with MNCs ruling here. So the strategic location, right near Rajiv Chowk, Sector 29, works for the brand. It finds takers among corporate travellers and sometimes even leisure ones.
There are 18 rooms and the staffing is all women, except for the guard. Security is an important feature as the reception door can only open from inside. There are CCTV cameras all over, including the road where one can park the car, if need be.
There are twin beds and double beds. So you have a choice. The bathroom has buckets too, unlike most hotels. The basics—TV, tea in the room and some fruits are all there. The colours of the room vary, it’s not all pink. And there are fans in the room too, besides the air conditioning.
Services for the woman on the go
- The wi-fi is free.
- There is an arrangement with Vanity Cube for beauty services which can be availed in the room.
- If you want to order from outside, you can. Breakfast is complimentary.
- The food can be customized to suit your palate.
- There is a common area to eat, but in-room dining is what most guests prefer.
- Boys up to the age of 12 are allowed to stay with their mothers.
- If you are cooped, there are some books also at the reception.
- You could ask for baby food, babysitting and there will be help.
- You can get your own liquor.
- Smoking is not allowed inside the hotel.
- In case you forget some basic amenities, you can buy them from the reception. You will find soap in the bathroom.
- You can ask for a taxi service.
Deepika pointed out that there are checkpoints. All staff is trained in-house before the property opens. Not even the CEO, 21-year-old Ritesh Agarwal, has come inside, for obvious reasons. OYO is now spread to over 3,000 properties across India. The group is also open to funding and training women entrepreneurs.
Price and bookings
Rs 2,499 for a room.
A thali costs Rs 200 plus taxes. A meal could cost around Rs 600 plus taxes.
You can book through the OYO app or website.
What I liked
Full of young and dynamic women, OYO WE is about having a relaxed stay. The staff is warm and polite. The best thing is the food which is actually ghar ka khana. What I had was raita loaded with boondi, tawa roti, paneer and chicken curry. We got an OYO kit (associated with Nykaa.com) and it included a cream, shampoo, conditioner, shower gel and a woman’s much needed sanitary pad.