Safe drinking water anytime, anywhere with Vesteraard’s award-winning technology.
Water, water every where, nor a drop to drink…how many times during my trips this verse from The Rime of the Ancient Mariner by Samuel Taylor Coleridge has come to my mind. Despite the numerous drinks and juices that one finds, the elixir of life has always been the bright blue, crystal sparkling H2O! Nothing like plain water to quench the thirst.
And making this water safe 24X7 is the LifeStraw bottle by a Swiss company Vestergaard. The bottle is actually a portable straw water filter (almost a decade old now) created to clear out the contaminating particles within seconds and make the water safe for drinking. It removes 99.999 per cent of bacteria such E. coli and Cholera, 99.9 per cent of parasites such as Cryptosporidium and Giardia and particulate matter. In fact, this award-winning technology has been successful in Kenya.
Whence came LifeStraw
The journey started in 1994. The Carter Center approached Vestergaard to develop a filter that could remove Guinea worm larvae from water. The company designed a cloth filter which evolved into a more effective pipe form in 1999.
LifeStraw in its current form came into being in 2005. This personal “straw-like” filter was designed for people in developing countries or where there is lack of access to safe drinking water.
Features of the bottle
Right from the weight to the quality, this easy to carry water filter can be a lifesaver when there is no access to clean water or when you are travelling constantly without frequent stops.
- The bottle was made in 2014.
- Weighs only 168 grams
- Requires no electrical power, batteries or replacement parts
- Can store up to 0.65 liters
- Chemical free and has no aftertaste. It doesn’t use iodine or iodinated resin chemicals
- Has a flip-top bite valve and carabineer for attaching to the backpack
- The life of the filter—when you can’t such any more water, then the filter needs to be replaced.
- It filters around 1,000 litres of water.
- Cleaning the bottle is also easy–After every use, remove the top of the bottle and back-flush your LifeStraw Go by blowing a breath of air back into the mouthpiece to purge all remaining water trapped within the filter. If you have access to clean water, suck some into the filter and back-flush it again. Leave the cap of the LifeStraw Go open until the product fully dries before storage.
Why it worked for me
Well, some in the western world have criticised it as there is still the issue of removing virus, but they have more products. However in our part of the world, we are slowly fighting many issues, including safe water and it becomes handy water filter to keep at all times.
Living in Noida, we always need a RO or water filter as tap water is not safe to drink or use for cooking purpose. But I filled water right from the taps in this bottle and left it for a few minutes. Then I sucked and out came water with a different taste. Also, I am alive to share this with you! It’s one of the must carry around bottles, even for a simple outing like shopping, especially if you have children with you.
Certainly what my travel bag needs.
Price: Rs 1,145.00 for Life Straw Personal water filter
Rs 1,790.00 for Life Straw GO Personal water bottle