This new app gives you all the vital information needed for travelling via the huge network of Indian Railways. It’s has been awarded the #1 Travel App in South-East Asia.
Words: Ambica Gulati
With the new RailYatri android app, managing train travel is a piece of cake. The app has the latest design fundamentals for Android in its Lollipop version, allowing users to get more information such as nearby stations, alerts, directions, maps, PNR status and more.
An easy-to-navigate menu on the left takes you through the major things you need to do while travelling by train. What you will find:
- RY Alert System which gives you all the schedules and reschedules for trains and stations.
- Live Train Status for finding out whether the train is running, where it is and where you can catch it.
- Arrival/Departure of the trains up to eight hours.
- PNR Status for knowing your booking status. (But the bookings can happen through IRCTC website only and a link leads you to it.)
- Time Table so you know how to plan all transit times or make your choice wisely. And it has bells and whistles with routes.
- Train Between Stations for finding the days the train runs or anything connected to train running status.
- Platform Locator: One of the most useful tools as it saves so much time, especially when you are boarding from a huge station like New Delhi.
- Seat Availability will help you with ‘confirmation probability’ and chances of ticket getting confirmed.
- Fare Calculator is a simple way of knowing the price of your ticket. Provide the train number or name and see the fare for the entire route. And it gives a breakup of charges as well.
What’s unique and travel savvy
- Rail Wisdom: Know the station and the surroundings is a great way to experience a place. This is an interesting feature which tells you different things about the station you are on. For instance, for the New Delhi Railway Station a traveller has shared that ‘there is a small little railway museum souvenir shop at this station’. Another one wrote, ‘There tends to be heavy rush at both Paharganj and Ajmeri Gate exits between 9-12 pm since about 8 Shatabdi trains arrive at this time. Take a radio taxi rather than someone dropping/picking you’.
- GPS Train Locator and Speedometer: You can know your location, past and next station on your route. Even details such as distance in kilometers for the stations, status of the trains, speed at which the train is running with respect to its designated speed (too slow, too fast, normal).
- My Trips: The umbrella under which you can organise your travel and keep it simple.
- Local Trains: Information on local trains for 11 cities such as Mumbai, Kolkata and also a few tier II cities such as Ahmedabad, Katra.
- Food and Taxi booking: There are tie-ups with TravelKhana for food delivery and Taxi For Sure and other vendors for food delivery and taxi booking respectively. These services are cash on delivery.
What I liked
- The option of saving the time table and viewing offline.
- Alerts, so you know the time, the cancellations, and the platforms and save yourself a lot of valuable time.
- Insights which give you access to the railway history, top five routes, most frequently travelled cities, mobile network and more.
- Rail Yatri blog with lovely pictures and travel tales.
So not only is train travel a pocket-friendly way of seeing the country, it’s also one of the better managed ways of experiencing India.