Independent, fearless and wanting to explore new destinations on their own and in their own way, solo female travellers are on the rise. And the trend has only been rising in 2017. Celebrating this independent female spirit, Annie Kumar, MD, Nafex India, says: “We are surrounded by strong, determined, independent women, and what better way to fulfill that independence than to travel solo?” But there are things to keep in mind when travelling alone. From a woman to a woman, do read these five tips by Kumar before you embark on that solo trip around the world:
- Make sure you have left details of stay back home, along with contact info and other important details. When you travel solo, you get a chance to find yourself! It is an absolute nirvana idea, as there are no constraints and you own your time. But, at the same time it is important that your family or friends know where you are headed next. It is also a good idea to ‘Check-in’ in between on social platform. This will ease off any discomfort that lingers in the mind of your friends and loved ones.
- Blend in, consider local customs when it comes to clothing – dress like the locals to avoid undesired attention from the local crowd. Look confident, avoid taking help from someone who seems to be too helpful. Do not accept overfriendliness from a stranger. If you really want to blend in, be sure to take a visual note of what others around you are wearing and follow it.
- Be aware of your surroundings all the time, stay safe- when you are travelling alone, be sure that you and your belongings are safe. Make copies of your passports, visa, and other important papers. Also, scan a copy of these documents on your laptop. When you are in public places, be sure to keep your bag towards the front and, the zip of the bag is up all the times.
- Research well for accommodation, and currency exchange-When you are travelling alone, a good research is a big concern. Don’t get enticed by great hotel reviews and sparkly decors of the hotel lobby. Book your accommodation in advance to get the best deals for the hotels. Most women book every travel need online–from flight tickets to hotel, but they do not book currency online. As a result, women tend to share all their personal details when they go for currency exchange. They end up sharing the passport details, the ID proofs, without even knowing what they are doing. This could be potentially risky. It is an established fact that the money changers at airports and hotels charge a premium over actual rates. Research well, and go to a reliable forex exchange company to be safe and assured.
- Carry local currency- always be sure to carry local currency with you, by getting your currency exchanged online before going for the trip. Make sure that the online company you buy your forex from is licensed by RBI. You can choose the best rates on Nafex.com, a platform which allows live bidding by several money changers for your requirement so you get to choose the deal. Nafex.com gives delivery of forex at your doorstep. You can also send remittances to hotels from your home country through Nafex.com if you are unwilling to carry a lot of cash. Prepaid forex cards are also a very convenient mode of transaction for women. Nafex.com keeps your personal details safe.
Solo travelling gives you a lot of peace and lets you find the real you. But, it is always important to stay safe. So, travel solo with safety!
About Annie Kumar and Nafex.com
A hotel management professional from Les Roches, Switzerland, Annie Kumar is the Co-founder and Managing Director of Nafex India. Having lived in Muscat, she has worked with global ventures and has vast experience in marketing and relationship management. She has overseen pan-India operations in her past positions at various corporates.
Incorporated in 2014, Nafex is a Bangalore-based company and works with 900 RBI approved money changers. It offers services like doorstep delivery of currency to giving service to 77000+ locations, 99,310 customers served and having 800+ RBI approved money changers to providing the currency of 27 countries on one platform.