If you are seeking a world away from the crowded cities or bustling beaches, you will appreciate the natural beauty that South America has to offer. The region is home to some of the most fascinating wildlife in the world, as well as some truly breathtaking areas of wilderness. Here are some of the best destinations you should visit in South America:
Words: Colton Davis
1. The Amazon Rainforest: is a nature lover’s dream. It accounts for more than half
of the world’s remaining forests, and the wildlife in the area is unlike any other.
Around a tenth of the world’s known species can be found here. Besides the
wildlife, this forest will expose you to many cultures that have been hidden from the
2. Patagonia: Have you ever wondered where the most beautiful place in the world is? Patagonia is surely a contender for this title. This wilderness is packed, full of stunning vistas, sapphire-blue lakes, and active volcanoes. A monstrous glacier can be found in the southern fields of Patagonia, covering a length of 6 kilometres. You can also enjoy the sight of penguins in their natural habitat, particularly if you visit in the summer.
3. The Atacama Desert: When people talk about the Atacama Desert in Chile, they will not fail to mention that it is among the driest places on the planet. At the same time, they will note that it is one of the most thrilling places they have ever been to – visiting this desert is akin to being on a different planet. You can drive through the desert without seeing or hearing another soul, and admire some of its 80 lively geysers and fumaroles along the way.
4. Elqui Valley: Many visitors make a trip to La Serena’s golden sandy beaches every year, but those who venture further to Elqui Valley will experience the true hidden gem of the area. If you are a stargazer, this place will especially appeal to you. It’s home to some of the most powerful telescopes in the world, and is also the best place to observe the phenomenal total eclipse of the Sun that will take place on the 2nd of July 2019.
5. The Galapagos Islands: The Galapagos Islands are known for their inspirational influence on Charles Darwin’s theory of evolution. You can trace his footsteps here and personally marvel at some of the most unique species in existence. The best part is that these species have evolved to become completely harmless – you can literally pet a sea lion on the beach and still return home unharmed!
All avid travellers must visit South America at least once in their lifetimes. If you’re a nature freak, the Amazon Rainforest, Patagonia, the Atacama Desert, Elqui Valley, and the Galapagos Islands should be right at the top of your list.