A healthy body is able to do everything and taking care of your teeth is very important as teeth are the only bones in the body that don’t grow back
Probably one of the most neglected parts, teeth are important for they help in many of the vital facial functions, says Dr Arjun Bedi, the Chief Dental Consultant at Dr. Bedi’s Dent ‘O’ Care, Rohini, Delhi. You need to take care of your teeth early in life for them to last longer, says the doctor. If you wake up in the later stages of life, a lot of damage has already been done.
- Baby teeth need different care. Most of the times people don’t even know that the permanent teeth have come out. So it’s best to consult a dentist during the early stages and at regular intervals.
- Babies need softer and different toothbrushes and toothpaste.
3. Chew slowly and let the saliva take away the remnants.
4. Change your toothbrush after every month.
5. You must change your toothpaste as often as six months.
6. You must brush softly and for at least two minutes. Learn from your dentist the right way of brushing.
7. Brushing the wrong way harms your teeth and causes damage to the gums.
8. Always brush at night before you go to sleep as there is no activity related to teeth during this period and all the waste can get stronger here.
9. Use an interdental brush to clean the spaces between teeth.
10. Visit your dentist at least once in six months. For people mostly come with bleeding gums and cavities if they neglect this part of the body.
How To Brush Your Teeth
So brushing has to be soft, done for a minute at least with vertical movements and not horizontal. And it’s best to use a soft brush for sensitive teeth and soft gums. Brushing morning and night is a must. Cleaning your tongue is equally important.
Why Visit The Dentist
My first ever visit to a dentist was in 2015. I had been planning to visit one for two years as my gums used to bleed while brushing. And I could see some black deposits in between my teeth which just wouldn’t go away, however hard I scrubbed my teeth. Yes, I practically scrubbed them, not brush and it did more harm than good.
The scrubbing had cut my teeth at some places. Plaque was the black deposit and this was a cause of worry. These bad deposits led to gum infection and inflammation, even pus formation.
Root Canal & Wisdom Tooth Extraction
Did you know teeth can be mobile? I was surprised to hear this term as the Endodontist at Apollo White Dental, Delhi, poked and prodded through the cavity in my tooth. So the tooth was shaky. In medical terms, it meant the cavity was deep, there was bone loss, the tooth would survive for a short time, no one could say how long. Even then I opted for the root canal and to live with my natural tooth for as long as it wanted to live with me. I was given anaesthetic injections around the infected area. First came deep scaling to clean out the plaque, then a dose of antibiotics for inflamed gums and bleeding. Then came the root canal, after that polishing, and abrasion fillings and teeth whitening.
My sister had been facing a pulsating ache in the gums and doctors took a 3D X-Ray of the mouth. There is a special machine for that. A pocket on one side was leading to inflammation and the wisdom tooth had to be extracted. It was a 20-minute procedure.
Taking care of your teeth is as important as going to the gym. And it just needs two-minutes on a daily basis.
Please share your tips for a healthy body in the comments section below.